Are Hair Drug Tests and Shampoos for Marijuana Efficient
We can all agree that drug testing is essential, especially for employers that are working in risky industries regulated by federal laws. Therefore, hair drug screening is one of the most convenient ways to detect whether you have drug abuser in your team.
It became popular in the last few years as the pre-employment and workplace drug screening because it can check for patterns of drug abuse. At the same time, parents prefer it to test their children because it is convenient.
In several countries such as Canada, the UK, and the USA recognize the importance of this particular testing method, which is why it is used for court systems as well.
It is highly challenging to tamper with the results, which will provide employers as well as companies ability to rest assured.
Of course, you can buy a hair cleanser for a drug test, but you have to follow specific guidelines that you will find on the link we shared with you.
Things You Should Know About Hair Drug Testing
Hair analysis is the conventional method that requires taking hair strands as a specimen for detecting the previous substance abuse. Have in mind that drug metabolites tend to enter your bloodstream and through it, they will reach your hair follicle.
Since long-term substance abuse will create a large number of metabolites that will enter your hair follicle, this particular method will provide you long detection window when compared with other tests that you can use.
It can detect the usage up to three months from the last consumption, of course, depending on how many substances you are being tested for.
Similarly, to other methods, hair analysis features advantages and disadvantages. Understanding them will help you determine whether it is suitable for your workplace or not based on the preferences and requirements that you wish to achieve.
You should click here so that you can learn more on screening methods.
Benefits of Hair Analysis
- Non-Invasive – Have in mind that this particular method tends to be painless and convenient. The collection process will not provide you any embarrassment and pain, which means that you can rest assured. The entire process requires from administrator to cut the hair samples from your head, near to the root, but if you do not have enough on your head, they can take from other parts of your body too.
- Long Window Of Detection – Since drugs that enter your body will produce byproducts or metabolites that will go all over your system, the blood will deposit it into hair follicles. Since the administrator will take approximately 1.5 inches of your hair, they can detect the drug abuse for up to three months, which is enough for them to determine whether you consume something frequently or not.
- Challenging To Adulterate – We have to state important notice because it is almost impossible to cheat this particular drug test. The main reason for that is that the administrator will take samples directly from your hair, so you cannot wear a wig or something else that will help you cheat the test at the point of application. Hair screenings are highly accurate when compared with other methods, and since the metabolites will be in your hair shaft, you will not be able to consume anything that will help you cleanse with ease.
- Simple To Collect – When it comes to administering it, we have mentioned above that it is completely non-invasive, which means that you do not have to handle needles and painful moments that will embarrass you along the way. Hair specimens are simple to collect, manage and store when compared with other drug testing methods such as saliva or urine.
Disadvantages of Hair Analysis
- Expensive Price Tag – Have in mind that when compared with other methods for screening, hair analysis is the most costly choice that you will make. The main reason for that is because you will not be able to perform it at home, and it requires an administrator as well as lab technicians that will determine the outcome. It involves complex processes so that you can get accurate results promptly.
- Inconclusive Time – Even though it is accurate and can help you determine the long-term abuse pattern, they cannot detect anything you consumed five days before the screening. The main reason for that is because metabolites will enter hair follicle through blood, and you will need between five and ten days for the hair to grow from them.
- Results Depend On Sample Length – We have mentioned above that administrators will take 1.5-inches of your hair sample because it tends to grow for 0.5 inches every month. Therefore, they are taking this sample as the way to check what you consumed in the last three months, while for more extended detection periods the accuracy drops and some regulations are banning more extended detection because it is a breach of privacy.
- Long Waiting Period – When compared with oral fluid or urinalysis, hair drug tests take longer times because the entire process requires laboratory testing so that you can get accurate results. Therefore, you will be able to get the outcome in two to three days after the date of screening.
How It Works
- Taking Sample – First, they will receive 1.5 inches of your hair as well as approximately 100 hair strands so that they can have conclusive results afterward. Since the hair growth varies from person to person, they will have the effects, but it is not 100% accurate, and you should know that before the screening. They will cut hair as close to the scalp as possible, while they can also take samples from other parts of your body in case you do not have enough on your head.
- Laboratory – Administrators will send the sample to the nearest laboratory, and technicians will check it for drug metabolites. They will wash the hair with an idea to remove external contamination, and it will undergo an EIA procedure, which is efficient for getting proper results.
- Confirmation – After the first part of screening in which they will determine whether the test is positive or negative, they will know what to do base on the results. In case that you have a positive test, they will send it to confirmation through GC/MS procedure (check this link: http://www.bris.ac.uk/nerclsmsf/techniques/gcms.html to learn more about it), which will provide the ability to detect, the presence of individual drugs and reduce the chances of false-positive results.